Thursday, February 12, 2015

Review: The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter

Here and there I like to dabble in different sorts of skincare. Oils have been a hot item recently with a surge of various facial oils on the market as well as cleansing oils. I recently picked up The Body Shop's Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter as I've been on the hunt for a one-step makeup remover/cleanser and was intrigued by some of the good reviews this product garnered. It retails for $15 USD for 2.7oz (76g), but The Body Shop often has sales so you could probably grab this guy for less. I was debating between this cleansing butter and their similarly named Camomile Cleansing Oil, but the lady in the store said the oil was a little more messy and was not as apt at removing waterproof eye makeup, which was one of the primary reasons I was interested in this type of product. 
Nice compact tin, easy to travel with

The product is a white, waxy substance that is soft and melts easily into the skin. The fragrance is a light, sweet floral scent that is nice - though I can't really vouch for it's "chamomile-ness" since I'm not sure what chamomile smells like. It's pleasant - and not overbearing at all. 



You rub your fingers in the product and gently massage onto your dry face to work the product in and it melts in smooth and quickly. I do spend some extra time working it into my eye area and have had no trouble with burning or irritation. Once massaged in, you rinse your face with warm water. I have been using this cleansing butter for about a week - I wear a full face pretty much every day - foundation, blush, contour, and waterproof mascara and eyeliner - and this stuff has been working to take it all off. After rinsing, my face feels clean, smooth, and (mostly) residue free. It also definitely removes waterproof eye makeup!  Some of the ones I use are exceptionally tough to remove - Maybelline Rocket, Maybelline Lash Sensational (review to come!), and Covergirl Lashblast, to name a few. I previously was using cotton rounds soaked with Neutrogena's Oil Free Makeup Remover  to remove my eye makeup, but found even that didn't remove my waterproof stuff all that well, not to mention the greasy residue it routinely left behind. 

Now - I said this left my face *mostly* residue free - I still feel a slight slip as I rinse my eye area, as if it were still ever so slightly greasy. If I am using the butter alone I sometimes still wipe my eyes with a cotton round doused in some Bioderma to "degrease" any residue left behind.  I have to be honest - I do usually cleanse again after using this cleansing butter with a face wash that contains AHA/BHA or Benzoyl peroxide, as that is my usual routine to help keep my spots at bay - but - you really don't need to double cleanse after using this balm. I have used it alone and my skin does feel soft and cleansed, even my eye area doesn't really feel like it has much there. So far, I haven't experienced any extra breakouts or increased congestion since using this balm. It feels really nice to massage it in and rinse it off. You have NO idea how annoying it is to me to have to hold cotton rounds to my eyeballs nightly in an attempt to undo all my warpaint, only to not even have all of it be removed! (I have tried a myriad of eye makeup removers which claim to remove waterproof stuff including Clinique Take the Day off, BiodermaLancome's Bifacil - probably the best but oh so pricey, and  Sonia Kashuk's Eye Makeup Remover -my least fave of the bunch.) I also didn't want to use these makeup removers for all over the face, so I would end up using them just for my eyes, and then washing the rest of my face with a face wash anyway. Sorry. That was a l o t of makeup remover complaining! Anyway, this cleansing butter has been really nice to use. There is no absolute need to double cleanse like I do - really -I just do anyway because I'm paranoid! At $15 it may not seem the most economical but a little goes a long way and I think you can definitely snag it on sale if you just keep an eye on their website. 

Let me know what your thoughts are and if you've tried the product! 

No comments:

Post a Comment